Authors & publishers
What is The History Quill Book Club?
The History Quill Book Club is a new pilot project of The History Quill. Our aim is to help historical fiction readers discover books they will love, and in so doing, promote the works of historical fiction authors to an enthusiastic, engaged audience.
Readers sign up to our email list to get book suggestions that are tailored according to the preferences they indicate. We have five main subgenre categories: action/adventure, mystery/thriller, drama, romance, and historical fantasy.
We have now entered the third phase of the pilot, which will last until the end of December 2021. This phase will focus on growing our email list in preparation for formally launching the book club as a promotional service. Participation during phase three is completely free for authors.
How to participate in phase three
We are now open for book submissions for October–December 2021. If you would like to promote your historical fiction (or historical fantasy) book during this period, please use the form below to submit it for consideration. It can either be a book that has already been released, or it can be a book that is scheduled to be released during the October–December 2021 window.
The deadline for submissions is 27 September.
What we’re looking for
- Full length historical fiction or historical fantasy
- Single books or a series/series box set consisting of three or more books
- Books available to purchase in digital form
- Books available to purchase from both amazon.com and amazon.co.uk
- Full price or discounted, as you prefer
- Positive reviews on Amazon
- Professional cover and blurb
We’re unlikely to accept
- Children’s historical fiction
- Erotic historical fiction
- Historical fantasy that does not take place on Earth
- Single eBooks priced over £5.99 or $7.99
- Free books
- Single books in a series that are not the first in that series (see note below about submitting books in a series)
- The same author more than once every three months
- The same book, or a book in the same series, more than once every six months
Submitting books in a series
If you want to submit a book that is in a series, we recommend you either submit the first book in that series or you submit the whole series (or a box set) for a series promotion. We do not recommend submitting the second, third, or fourth (and so on) book in a series as a single book, as new readers generally don’t want to start in the middle of a series. The only exceptions to this are if your book is a genuine standalone, despite being part of a series, or if our readers are likely to have read your previous books already.